Contacts / Connections
Communities / Discussions
Library / Resources
General | Top
Q: What is my username/password?
A: Your login credentials are the same username and password that you use to log into the My Portal Members section at Engineers Australia’s homepage (www.engineersaustralia.org.au
). This site will allow you to reset forgotten passwords, or create a new Engineers Australia ID if you do not already have one. For any additional assistance with your login information, please click here
Q: How do I update my contact information?
A: On your profile page, please select the pencil icon next to "Contact Details" in the left column. This will prompt you to log into the My Portal Members areas to make any changes directly to Engineers Australia’s database.
Q: What browsers are supported?
- Chrome (latest version)
- Edge (latest version)
- Firefox (latest version)
- Internet Explorer (v11)
- Safari (latest version)
Q: How do I control what information is visible in My Profile? [Privacy Settings]
A: Navigate to your profile page, then select the "My Account" tab and choose "Privacy Settings" from the drop-down menu. This will let you control what information is visible to whom. After you’ve made changes, click the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page.
Privacy Settings Breakdown:
My Contacts: The content can only be viewed by a user that you have accepted as a connection.
Members Only: The user must be a member of the site to view the content.
Public: The content can be viewed by anyone publicly, member or not. Please note that there are already settings in place that prevent public access viewing.
Only Me: You are the only person able to view this content item.
Contacts / Connections | Top
Q: How do I find other members?
A: Click the Members tab found in the community navigation bar. The Members Directory lets you search for other users within the community based on:
- First and/or last name
- Company/Institution name
- Email address
Q: How do I add contacts to my contact list?
A: There are several ways to add contacts:
via Discussion: Click the Actions button listed under a member's profile picture and select Add Contact.
via Members Directory: When you perform a search in the Members Directory (within the community), you will see an “Add as Contact” button to the right of each person in your search results. Click this button to send a contact request.
via User Profile: When viewing an individual’s profile, you can click the contact request link to the right of his or her profile picture.
Q: Why should I add contacts to my contact list?
A: Creating this virtual address book makes it easy to send your contacts messages through the community site to stay in touch, ask questions or even build a referral network. Additionally, when you view another member’s profile, you’ll be able to see any contacts you have in common. You can also choose to let your contacts view certain demographics in your profile that others can't.
Communities / Discussions | Top
Q: What are communities?
A: Communities allow you to participate in discussions and share resources with other members.
Q: What communities do I already belong to?
A: Select “My Communities” in the upper navigation to view the communities you currently belong to.
Q: How do I join/subscribe to a community and the affiliated discussion group?
A: Click the Join A Community button in the upper navigation
- There are multiple types of communities including public (anyone can join) and invite only (restricted access)
- Note: If you are a member of an existing group (ex: Volunteers) you may automatically have a membership to the specified invite only community so check your My Communities list to verify (upper navigation). If this is the case, your subscription setting is defaulted to daily digest. To adjust this setting, see the next FAQ.
- The communities that are open for you to join will be listed with a Join button visible
- Click the Join button and choose a subscription setting (daily digest is recommended) to access the community and participate
- For additional details and instructions about digest settings see next FAQ
- Note: This list is will continue to grow and announcements will be shared as new communities are added
- My Communities (Upper Navigation Option)
- This will display a list of your current community memberships
- Reminder: If you are a member of an existing group (example: Volunteers) you may automatically have membership to the volunteer community and will not need to manually join the community
Q: How can I control the frequency and format of emails I receive? [Digest Settings]
A: Navigate to your profile and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu.
To adjust your current subscription settings, under the Discussion Email column click open the drop-down menu for each community and select your desired subscription.
Digest Options include:
- Real Time: sends an email every time a new message is posted.
- Daily Digest: sends a daily summary of the previous day's activity in one email. (To keep up to date on community activity, this is the recommended setting)
- No Email: allows you to be part of the group without having emails sent to you. You can still post and read others’ messages by logging into the community site. Will also need to be selected for consolidated digest options (described next).
Additionally, there is also the option to consolidate digest into either a Daily Consolidated or Weekly Consolidated option. This is helpful if you are a part of multiple communities and are interested in decreasing the number of emails that you receive. Most members will choose to keep their primary community to daily digest and consolidate their other communities. To activate the consolidated option, set your Discussion Email option to No Email and check the box of the consolidated option that fits your needs. For the Weekly Consolidated Option, you are also able to set the date you receive the summary by scrolling to the top of the page and choosing your desired date from the drop down menu under the labeled option.
Q: How do I leave a community or unsubscribe from a discussion?
A: To leave a community, navigate to the community and select the "Settings" button located next to the community title. Select the "Leave Community" button located under Status. To adjust your subscription setting, either navigate to your profile to "Community Notifications" or under the "Settings" button in the community choose an updated option by clicking the drop-down menu under "Email Notifications."
If you need any additional assistance and/or have questions, please reach out to [email protected]
Q: How do I respond to others’ posts?
A: There are multiple ways to respond to a discussion post, here are the two main options: via Discussion [Reply Inline]
Note that there is an Advanced Editor option if additional features including the ability to insert an image are needed.
- Navigate to the post you would like to share your thoughts
- Click the Reply Inline (this will be a community visible reply)
- Enter your reply and click Send to post
Additional Tip: to share a reply privately, click the drop down arrow next to the Inline Reply button and select Reply to Sender to send a direct reply.
Via the Daily Digest
- Click the blue Reply via Email button located below the displayed post title (to the right of the author name)
- This will open a blank email with the To and Subject Line already completed
- Enter your contribution and send the message as you would a normal email
- This will post your response to the discussion board
Q: How do I start a new discussion thread?
A: Navigate to the community Discussion board and click the "Post New Message" button located at the top of the discussion list.
Q: I’m having trouble viewing the HTML email messages. How do I fix this?
A: If images are not appearing, it is likely that your email client is set to suppress images. This should be something you can change in your security or viewing options. If you would rather receive text-based email, go to your profile page and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu. Select the “Plain Text” format option for each of the discussions you are subscribed to.
Q: Can I search for posts across all the communities?
A: Yes, please enter a keyword in the search bar located in the main navigation. To refine your search results, please select "Show Advanced Search".
Q: How do I see a listing of all of the posts to a specific Community?
A: Locate the community you are interested in viewing from the My Communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Discussions” tab. If you see a post you’re interested in, click the subject line which will take you to the entire thread. “Show Original Message” at the bottom of all of the posts in a thread will display the original message that started that discussion.
Libraries | Top
Q: How do I find resources that may have been uploaded by other members?
A: If you know which library the resource might be located in, find the affiliated community via the My Communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Library” tab. If you do not know where the resource might be, enter search terms in the main search box the same way you might enter search terms into Google or another search engine.
Q: Can I search for specific file types?
A: Yes. Enter your desired keyword in the main search box. From the search results page, click "Show Advanced Search." Then click on “Search for Specific File Types.” This gives you the option to specify file type: Document, Image, Spreadsheet, etc.
Q: How do the libraries get populated?
A: The libraries are populated in two ways:
1. When you include an attachment in a discussion post, the system automatically places it in the affiliated library.
2. You can also upload documents directly to a library by using the “Share a File” link found under “Participate” in the main navigation or "Create New Library Entry" button on any community's library page. Library resources are not required to be associated with a discussion thread.
Q: How do I upload a file?
A: Select the “Share a File” link found under “Participate” in the main navigation or "Create New Library Entry" on any community landing page. Please note that uploading a document is accomplished by completing a few steps, and each step must be completed before you can move on to the next:
- Choose a title for your document, and include a description (optional). Select the library to which you’d like to upload it, and select a folder to which you’d like to upload it (optional). Then, choose an Entry Type (most will be Standard Files, but be cognizant of any copyright licensed material). Once you have completed these steps, please click “Next.”
- Upload your file.
- Select “Next” if you want to further describe your files and/or add tags to your file. Otherwise, please click “Finish” to post your library entry
Q: What kind of files can I upload?
A: Over 70 file types can be uploaded to Libraries. The maximum file size is 1GB. The system supports dozens of file types including hyperlinks, standard files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), webinars, images and YouTube videos.
Q: What are the “tags” for?
A: Tags are great way to organize and categorize content on your site. Tags can be applied to blogs, library entries, events, and glossary terms. Tagged items are prioritized in the search results.